Today I am sharing a brand new Cake Mix Recipe!!!
It happens to be my mom's recipe - not really my mom's own - but the recipe that was on her calendar from August 1985 - when I was born! She has saved and baked this recipe for 30 years! And it is delicious! And it uses a cake mix! And it has coffee cake crumb topping! Are you convinced that this recipe needs to be in your life yet?
I have lovingly named it Nana's Banana Crumb Cake because my mom goes by Nana these days! I also have no way of crediting the source of this recipe! I made the recipe exactly the same as the original, just leaving out the nuts (because of Lacie's allergy). Maybe someone will recognize this calendar from 1985?!?
Your Shopping List for Nana's Banana Crumb Cake:
- one box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup veggie oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, cubed and slightly soft
Now Let's Make Nana's Banana Crumb Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan
- In the base of a stand mixer, fitted with the wire whisk attachment, whisk together the cake mix and baking powder
- Add the water, veggie oil, and 3 eggs and beat on the lowest speed until just combined
- Add in the mashed bananas on lowest speed and mix until incorporated
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar
- Add in the cubed butter and cut with two forks or a pastry cutter until mixture it crumbly (you can even use clean hands to do this part)
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 - 45 minutes (until browned around the edges and just set in the center)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes before serving warm or cool completely in pan before cutting and storing in an airtight container