I love hosting brunch at my house for so many reasons....
- Breakfast food is awesome
- It is way easier than hosting dinner
- And it works seamlessly into the sleep schedule of my girls!
Honestly, who doesn't love breakfast food! I officially host brunch on Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, and Father's Day! I also do brunch for other random occasions throughout the year, like my brother-in-law's 30th birthday last week! One of my favorite things to make for a brunch is an overnight casserole - meaning you assemble the casserole the night before, refrigerate it, then pop it in the oven in the morning. Of course I love making pancakes or waffles, but overnight casseroles really allow you to enjoy spending time with your guests rather than standing over the stove!
Easter 2013 Brunch
Here's What You Need to Make the Sausage Egg & Cheese Casserole:
- 1 pound bulk sausage (or your favorite breakfast sausage)
- 10 slices of white bread (I like using a country white which is more hearty then standard white bread - but any kind of bread you have on hand is fine)
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a non-stick skillet, crumble and brown sausage - drain and set aside
- Cut bread into one inch cubes (I remove the crusts - you don't have to) and place into a greased 9x13 baking dish - the whole bottom of the baking dish should be covered with a nice layer of bread - you may need to use more or less depending on how thick your bread slices are
- Sprinkle cooled sausage onto the bread cubes
- Top sausage with shredded cheese
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper (I used about 1/2 tsp of each)
- Pour egg mixture slowly and evenly over the top of the casserole
- Cover and plate in the refrigerator over night
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees and then bake casserole for 45 minutes or until cooked in the center and browned around the edges
- Allow to rest for about five minutes before serving
Lacie Jane loving her Egg Casserole during our Easter 2013 brunch!