For those of you who know me best (like my husband and my mom) you know that I LOVE starting a new tradition almost as much as I love the color PINK! Enter Saturday Morning Breakfast!!!
During the week, we don't get to have breakfast as a family. John and I are up by 5:30 a.m. John eats and is out the door at 6...at this time I usually drink a cup of coffee and then eat my breakfast in peace! The girls wake up between 7:30 and 8 - and these days it is usually closer to 8...which is wonderful! Then, I put them in their highchairs, and they eat their breakfast side by side! That schedule means that Saturday is one day out of the week when I can usually make sure we all eat together as a family!
Enter a delicious recipe for Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes that I created after researching a few whole wheat pancake recipes on pinterest! These pancakes are made from scratch, but they are easy! They are also pretty virtuous as far as pancakes go!
Now I am big fan of the "use what you have" theory when it comes to cooking! Please feel free to make substitutions based on what is in your pantry!
What You Need for the Pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cups of Whole Wheat Flour (I love and use almost exclusively King Arthur White Whole Wheat because you get all the benefits of whole wheat flour with a taste and texture more similar to white flour - you can also use all-purpose flour if you wish)
- 2 tbsp of Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt (about 1/2 tsp)
- 1 cup of milk (I use Whole Milk but you can substitute whatever you drink at home)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Pancake Toppings of Choice! (We do butter, powdered sugar, and real maple syrup....but you can do fresh fruit, whipped cream, etc.)
Now Let's Make the Pancakes:
- Preheat a pancake griddle and spray with cooking spray or grease with butter
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together your flour, sugar, baking powder and (optional) salt
- In a separate bowl combine milk, egg, and (optional) vanilla extract
- Mix wet mixture into flour mixture - but do not overmix
- Fold in your chocolate chips
- Spoon batter onto the griddle (I like to use a 1/3 cup measuring spoon for a medium size pancake)
- Allow to cook for a few minutes on the first side (until small bubbles appear)
- Flip and cook on second side until they are done to your liking (I cook them until they are a medium brownish but I know some people prefer lighter or darker pancakes)
- Enjoy with toppings of choice!!!
These pancakes made the perfect meal for our Saturday Morning Breakfast Tradition! This recipe made 12 medium pancakes...plenty for our family of 2 adults and 2 children! Lacie ate them with enthusiastic "Yummy" and "MMMs" after each bite! Even little Blakely got to eat her very first pancake! You can see her's in the back left corner of the griddle...I measured a little batter out just for her before adding in the chocolate chips!
Someone's loving her first pancake!
These pancakes came out wonderful! They are delicious and filling! They are more dense then a pancake made with a typical mix which for our growing girls is a good thing!