What are Neiman Marcus Bars? They are a cookie bar with a cheesecake type layer...except the top layer never fully sets so it's creamier than cheesecake!! They are gooey and delicious! I have also heard them be referred to as Chess Squares, Gooey Butter Bars, and Texas Gold Bars.
I don't think that I have had a Neiman Marcus bar since college, but after coming across the recipe for them I haven't been able to stop thinking about making a batch! These bars are super easy to make! You start by making a dough with boxed cake mix, butter and eggs - just like in my funfetti cookie bars! But then you add a delicious cream cheese topping which makes these bars gooey and wonderful! Add in butterscotch flavor, and well, they are just fantastic!
Here's What You Need to Make Blakely's Butterscotch Neiman Marcus Bars:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 bag of butterscotch chips
Now Let's Make the Bars:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease (I used Pam) a 9x13 pan
- Mix together your cake mix, butter, and 2 of the eggs (this is your first layer)
- Press this mixture evenly into the greased pan
- In a stand mixer combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 2 remaining eggs (you can also use a hand mixer - I just LOVE my kitchen aid stand mixer - it's PINK)
- Now put 1 cup of your butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave (I did mine on 50% power for 1 minute) and beat the melted butterscotch into the cream cheese mixture
- Fold in the rest of the butterscotch chips and pour this mixture on top of the crust
- Bake in oven for 35 to 40 minutes - the edges should be brown while the center is still wobbly
- Cool on your counter for 30 minutes then place in the fridge for at least two hours
They are amazing! I had to give away half so I didn't eat them all by myself!