Easter is just a little over a month away! And if you're Catholic, then you are most likely on the hunt for some meat-free meal ideas to make on Fridays during Lent. While forgoing meat on Fridays is not a huge sacrifice to me personally...it is for John who is a huge meat eater! My sacrifice is really planning the meatless menu! One option that we both enjoy are these Meatless Quesadillas. They are a quick meal that can be made in 15 minutes! It's a great option for a light dinner or even for lunch. Using corn tortillas makes this meal Gluten Free as well!
Here's What You Need to Make the Meatless Quesadillas:
- 12 to 16 corn tortillas
- 2 - 3 cups shredded cheese - I used a Mexican Blend but you could use plain cheddar, monteray jack, etc.
- 2 bell peppers, any color, diced
- 1 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup black beans
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Now Let's Make the Meatless Quesadillas:
- Heat olive oil in a skillet (non-stick is easiest)
- Add the diced peppers and sauté until slightly tender
- Add the corn and cook for additional minute
- Add black beans and stir until heated through
- Add all seasonings, stir, and taste - add more of any spices if desired
- Turn heat off and set mixture aside
- Place 6 corn tortillas on a large griddle
- Top each tortilla with 2-3 tbsp of shredded cheese
- Top the cheese with 3-4 tbsp of veggie and bean filling
- Top filling with 2-3 additional tbsp of shredded cheese
- Finally close the quesadillas with an additional corn tortilla
- Turn heat on and cook until cheese is melted and quesadilla is lightly browned on the bottom
- Use a spatula to flip and cook until lightly browned on the second side
- Transfer to a cutting board, cut and serve
This will make 6-8 quesadillas depending on the size and how much filling you use!
Quesadillas are a great and fast meal! It is also super easy to mix up any of the ingredients to meet the dietary needs and tastes of your family! When I make this throughout the rest of the year, I will add shredded chicken to make them not meatless (and more filling for the hubby).