And Now Red Velvet Neiman Marcus Bars!
Red Velvet is the perfect dessert for my two favorite holidays - Christmas and Valentine's Day! That's why I thought today would be the perfect time to share these bars with you - Valentine's Day is 3 weeks away! Inspired by original Neiman Marcus Bars (also know as Chess Squares or Gooey Butter Cake or sometimes Texas Gold Cake - I promise whatever they are called you have had them at some point)...I simply swapped out yellow cake mix for red velvet cake mix! That makes these bars Cake Mix Recipe #25!!!
Here's What You Need to Make the Red Velvet Neiman Marcus Bars:
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups of powdered sugar (which equals 1 pound...which is one box...or a half of a 2 pound bag)
Now Let's Make the Red Velvet Neiman Marcus Bars:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan with butter or nonstick spray
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, one egg, and melted butter until a soft dough forms
- Press dough into bottom of prepared pan
- In the stand of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat together the cream cheese, remaining two eggs, and powdered sugar until combined and smooth
- Spread mixture on top of red velvet cookie dough - it will look like this
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes until the edges are crisp and the top of the cream cheese mixture has a slight crust but doesn't seem completely set (the center will still wobble a bit) - The picture below is what you are looking for
- Allow pan to cool on a wire rack for thirty minutes
- Transfer pan to fridge to cool completely (an additional two hours)
- Cut into bars and serve or store in the fridge until you are ready to eat
These Bars Get Lacie's Stamp of Approval!
If you liked these Red Velvet Neiman Marcus Bars, don't forget to check out my other Red Velvet Recipes! You can also find a butterscotch version of this recipe - Blakely's Butterscotch Neiman Marcus Bars - Here!