When kiddos are sick (or just anytime our lives are too crazy), crock pot meals are a great idea! I try to cook something in mine about once a week. It is just so nice that I can throw dinner in there in the morning or even at nap time (depending on how long the recipe needs to cook) and forget about it until we are ready to eat dinner! This meal was definitely a hit with everyone and will be making it's way into our regular dinner rotation!
Crockpot Burrito Bowls
Yum! This dinner was a warm, comforting burrito in a bowl without the big flour tortilla. I did serve the mixture over some brown rice...but if you are really trying to watch what you eat you can eliminate the rice! Personally, I love the rice!
Here's What You Need to Make the Burrito Bowls:
- 1 jar salsa - you choose the spiciness level
- 1 pound chicken breasts (about 3 large pieces of chicken)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag of frozen corn (you could use 1 can of corn drained and rinsed as well)
- brown rice to serve
- shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese to serve
Now Let's Make the Burrito Bowls:
- Pour the jar of salsa on the bottom of the crockpot
- Place the chicken on top of the salsa
- Sprinkle tops of chicken with cumin, chili powder, and garlic
- Pour frozen corn on top of seasoned chicken
- Finally add can of black beans
- Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours
- Remove chicken, shred, and return to the crockpot and cook 1 additional hour before serving. (If you are pressed for time just add chicken back into the crockpot, stir, and serve.)
- Serve over cooked brown rice and sprinkle shredded cheese over the top if desired!
Now, if you have read some of my other posts, you know I sprinkled a ton of cheese on top of this...and then I placed it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to melt the cheese...this was the end result:
And it was delicious!
Now you can even get extra fancy and finish off your burrito bowl with fresh cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, some homemade guacamole or diced avocado! It's a great base for any flavors that you want to add. Don't forget I have two little kids eating this, but you can always add in extra spices to flavor it even more (red pepper flakes, diced jalapeño, etc.)!