Today is September 1st! This month will mean some big changes for our family. John will be back to his crazy work schedule - not getting home until after the kids are in bed most nights. Lacie also starts school - 5 mornings a week! And in addition to Lacie having dance class one night per week, Blakely will start dance! That means two nights each week where dinner time will be crazy!
So basically the crockpot will probably become my new best friend.
Last week, I wanted to create a fun, summer inspired crockpot dish using chicken! I came up with this, and it was just fantastic! The Crockpot Citrus Chicken alone is delicious, but topping it with a simple corn salsa made it even better! You could fix this a million different ways but I made tacos with it on the first night and then turned the leftovers into quesadillas! Yum!
Your Shopping List for the Crockpot Citrus Chicken:
- 1 pound of chicken breast
- zest and juice of two large oranges
- zest and juice of one lime
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of dried oregano
Your Shopping List for the Corn Salsa:
- 1 package of frozen corn
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalepeno , diced
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste (1/2 - 1 tsp)
Additional Shopping List:
- toppings of your choice - cheese, lettuce, sour cream, etc
- corn or flour tortillas
Now Let's Make the Crockpot Citrus Chicken:
- Place chicken in the bottom of your crockpot
- In a large measuring cup, add both the zest and the juice of the oranges, lime, and lemon - the liquid should equal or exceed 1 cup (if it does not add a little chicken broth or water to meet 1 cup)
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and oregano to the juice mixture and stir to combine
- Pour over chicken and set your slow cooker to low for 6 hours
- At the 5 hour mark, shred chicken and allow to continue to cook for an additional hour in the slow cooker - this allows the chicken to really absorb the juices
Now Let's Make the Corn Salsa
- At any point during the day cook your corn about 1 minute less than the package says
- Drain corn
- Place corn in bowl with diced onion and diced jalepeno
- Add lime juice, cilantro, and salt - stir to combine
- This can be made up to 24 hours in advance - the longer it sits the more the flavors come together
Serve your Crockpot Citrus Chicken with the Corn Salsa! Enjoy!
On the first night, we assembled them like tacos!
We used the leftovers to make quesadillas!
I use this 6 quart slow cooker for all of my crockpot recipes: