We have a tradition in the Hilosky House...on Saturday Mornings we eat Chocolate Chip Pancakes! My girls may be a bit too young to fully grasp the calendar or the concept of time, but they do know that Saturday means Daddy is home when they wake up and they get to eat pancakes for breakfast!!! Saturdays are a happy morning in the Hilosky House! We almost always have my very favorite whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes, but every once in awhile I change up the pancake option a bit. So on this Saturday I decided to make:
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes!
They were such a yummy change that was easily made by adding one extra ingredient to the pancake batter...2 mashed but still lumpy bananas!
- 1 1/4 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 slightly overripe bananas, mashed with a fork but still lumpy
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- pancake toppings of choice (we do butter, real maple syrup, and powdered sugar...you could add nuts, fresh fruit, whipped cream, whatever you like!)
Now Let's Make the Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes:
- Preheat a pancake griddle* and grease with butter
- Mash up two bananas with a fork and set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together your flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl combine milk, egg, and vanilla extract
- Mix wet mixture into flour mixture - but do not over mix
- Fold in the mashed bananas and chocolate chips
- Spoon batter onto the griddle (I like to use a 1/4 cup measuring spoon for a medium size pancake)
- Allow to cook for a few minutes on the first side (until small bubbles appear)
- Flip and cook on second side until they are done to your liking (I cook them until they are a medium brownish but I know some people prefer lighter or darker pancakes)
- Enjoy with toppings of choice!!!
*For my many readers who have emailed and asked what type of pancake griddle I use, it's the All-Clad - Nonstick Grande Griddle Pan
I love love love this pan! I bought it five years ago, as soon as we moved into our townhouse! It has gotten so much use over the years and it is still in great shape! It is so easy to clean too (you basically can just wipe the non-stick surface)!
And I had two very happy eaters who wouldn't even stop chewing to smile!