French toast casserole is one of my staples when I host a brunch at my house for Easter or another holiday! This casserole is so basic, and there are a ton of things you can add to "dress it up." The best thing about this casserole is that there are only 5 ingredients!!! Oh and you make it the night before so that in the morning the only thing left to do is pop it in the oven!
Your Shopping List:
- 12 slices of your favorite cinnamon bread (I use Pepperidge Farm)
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- extra maple syrup, fruit of choice, any additional toppings you want for serving
Now Let's Make the Overnight French Toast Casserole:
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter or cooking spray
- Cut the cinnamon bread into one inch cubes (I leave the crust on) and layer in bottom of prepared baking dish
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the 8 eggs with the milk
- Whisk in the pure maple syrup and the vanilla extract
- Pour egg mixture over the top of the bread, cover, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 40 minutes until the casserole has puffed up and the center is set
During the last 5-10 minutes of baking, I added sliced bananas and drizzled more of the real maple syrup over the top. Then, I returned it to the oven and baked until the syrup was warm and the bananas were beginning to turn brown! You can do this with any fruit that you like!
Serve with additional syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, extra fruit, etc.
I always serve the french toast casserole along side a savory dish, like my Sausage Egg & Cheese Casserole!