One of the other desserts I served at Easter Brunch were these amazing Chocolate Coconut Neiman Marcus Bars! I have blogged about my love of these bars before! Traditional Neiman Marcus Bars have a yellow cake base with a plain cream cheese topping. But I like to mix the flavors up by experimenting with different combinations. And when I was trying to decide what to make for Easter, I knew I wanted coconut! Then, I decided to use a chocolate base so that would be reminiscent of Coconut Cream Chocolate Easter Eggs...except BETTER!
Oh and these bars are CAKE MIX RECIPE #35
Your Shopping List:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
Now Let's Make the Chocolate Coconut Neiman Marcus Bars:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, melted butter, and one beaten egg until a dough forms
- Press the chocolate dough into the prepared pan and set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the softened cream cheese, two remaining eggs, and coconut extract until fully incorporated
- Beating on the lowest speed, slowly add the powdered sugar until it is completely mixed with the wet ingredients
- Fold in the shredded coconut
- Pour cream cheese mixture on top on the chocolate dough
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes until the top has formed a crust, the edges are set and brown - the middle will appear to not be quite set, that's okay!
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before transferring pan to the fridge to cool and set completely - at least an additional 2 hours (I left it in the fridge overnight and cut the bars in the morning)
- Cut bars and serve or store in the fridge until you are ready to serve!
If you are looking for more Neiman Marcus Bar Ideas: