I've written this again and again, but I love cooking with my crockpot! I love the fact that I can throw a bunch of ingredients in a slow cooker and have dinner ready at the end of a long day! This crockpot recipe is a very healthy take on a burrito! It also makes a ton of food! We can easily get 2 meals out of this!
Your Shopping List for the Crockpot Burrito Bowls:
- 1 15oz jar salsa - you choose the spiciness level, I used "medium"
- 1 pound chicken breasts (about 3 large pieces of chicken)
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag of frozen corn (you could use 1 can of corn drained and rinsed as well)
- brown rice to serve
- shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese to serve
- additional burrito toppings of choice - like diced avocado or sour cream
- Pour half of the jar of salsa on the bottom of the crockpot
- Place the chicken on top of the salsa
- Sprinkle tops of chicken with cumin, chili powder, and garlic
- Pour frozen corn and black beans on top of seasoned chicken
- Top with remaining salsa
- Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours
- Remove chicken, shred, and return to the crockpot and cook 1 additional hour before serving. (If you are pressed for time just add chicken back into the crockpot, stir, and serve.)
- Serve over cooked brown rice
- Top with shredded Mexican cheese and assorted toppings
I enjoy serving this over brown rice, but you could always change it up by serving it over chips and topping it with cheese - think nachos! You could also just use this as filling inside of tortillas to make traditional burritos! Have fun making this work a few different ways - the leftovers will never be boring!