I may be just a tad obsessed with all things lemon! I have been buying lemons by the bag at Wegmans and using them in everything from baking to my drinking water. Even little Lacie Jane is requesting lemon slices in her ice water...and drinking lemon and honey tea! Her two year old palate is very sophisticated! So last week when I was thinking about what I wanted to bake, I knew I wanted it to have LEMON! I thought about some of the things I have already made, and decided to mix up my original recipe for Oatmeal and Jam Bars to make them lemon bars! And what goes better with lemon than blueberry!
These delicious bars come together with just 4 ingredients!!! They also mark Cake Mix Recipe #36!!!
Your Shopping List:
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 1/4 cups oats (I used old fashioned because I wanted these bars super chewy)
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 1 cup blueberry jam
Now Let's Make the Lemon Oatmeal and Blueberry Jam Bars:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and the oats
- Add the melted butter and stir until a dough forms
- Divide the dough into thirds
- Press two thirds of the dough into the bottom of your prepared baking dish
- Spread blueberry jam on top of the dough - spread it almost to the edge
- Crumble the remaining one third of the dough on top of the jam layer
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes until the top is nice and golden
- Allow pan to cool on a wire rack completely, cut into squares, and store in an airtight container
If you can't find blueberry jam (or if you just don't like it) you could definitely make this with strawberry or raspberry jam!
And since this has oats in it, you can totally eat it for breakfast!