Valentine's Day Week is upon us! If you have been keeping up with this blog, then you know that I love this special holiday! It is a day to celebrate love and the color pink! It is also a time when Red Velvet desserts are in abundance! And I love me some red velvet! I also happen to love chocolate...seriously I have to eat chocolate every.single.day! It's a must! So I combined my love of red velvet and chocolate in this recipe! It's the perfect treat to whip up for Friday!
And it's a cake mix recipe! Cake Mix Recipe #28 if you're keeping track!
Here's What You Need to Make the Red Velvet Hearts:
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- red sugar sprinkles (you can always use plain white sugar and color it red if you cannot find red sugar sprinkles)
- 24 dark chocolate hearts, unwrapped (like the kind by Dove)
Now Let's Make the Red Velvet Hearts:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, eggs, and vanilla extract
- Add the red velvet cake mix and the baking powder to your mixer and beat together until a soft dough forms
- Use a cookie scoop to form dough into 24 balls (about 1 inch each)
- Roll each dough ball into the red sugar sprinkles
- Place onto prepared baking sheets and bake in oven for 10 - 12 minutes
- While the cookies are in the oven, unwrap your chocolates and have them ready - don't forget to unwrap a few extra to eat while you are waiting!
- Remove from oven and immediately press a chocolate heart into the center of each cookie
- Allow to cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely
- Once cookies are cool and the chocolate has completely set, store in an airtight container
There is just nothing better then a cookie topped with a piece of chocolate!