I just love love love homemade guacamole! There was a point in our past when John and I would eat at Chipotle every single weekend! No I'm not exaggerating. We always got burritos, but to be honest I would have been happy to just eat their guacamole and chips! Then we added two children to our family and took away one income...and we don't eat there very often anymore...trying to save money and eat healthier and all that good stuff...
So I came up with a pretty simple recipe that I feel is fantastic! Today, I was in the mood for my homemade gauc for lunch...and we just happened to have 2 avocados that were ready to go!
Here's What You Need to Make the Guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- about 1/4 of a red onion diced
- a pinch of sea salt - I love my pink himalayan sea salt because, well, it's pink
- a few cilantro leaves torn into small pieces (I didn't happen to have any today)
- tortilla chips (I like organic blue corn tortilla chips)
Now Let's Make the Guacamole:
- Cut open your avocados, remove the pits, and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh into a bowl
- Use the back of your spoon to smash your avocado (I like there to still be some chunks left but if you like yours to be smoother you can always use a potato masher)
- Stir in your freshly squeezed lime juice
- Mix in the pressed garlic, diced red onion, and sea salt
- Taste and add in any extra flavor that you think it needs
- Serve with tortilla chips
Now keep in mind that avocados, while delicious, are very very plain. So essentially they are a blank canvas for flavor. You can make this exactly as I do or take out flavor your don't like and add in flavors that you do like! If you don't like onion, leave it out! If you want it spicy, you can add in diced jalapeños! Make it your own!