I know it has been awhile since I posted a new recipe. If you want to know why, you can read this post which explains it all!
Last Sunday, I really wanted to make a coffee cake for out annual Father's Day Brunch. I have a favorite blueberry coffee cake recipe that I have made in the past, but I didn't happen to have any fresh blueberries. So I took the topping from that recipe, made a few changes, and created an awesome Cake Mix Coffee Cake instead!
Hooray for CAKE MIX RECIPE #37!!!
Your Shopping List for the Cake Mix Coffee Cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
Now Let's Make the Cake Mix Coffee Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the cake mix, milk, melted butter, and eggs for 30 seconds on the lowest speed. Scrape down the sides and then turn mixer to medium speed and beat for another 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes until the top is set but the cake isn't cooked completely through
- While the cake is baking, make the topping
- Whisk together the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl
- Use a pastry cutter to cut in the cold butter cubes until mixture is crumbly
- As soon as cake top appears to be set (approximately 20 minutes), remove from oven and sprinkle crumb mixture over the top of the cake
- Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes until cake is fully cooked and the crumble topping is hard and golden brown
- Allow cake to cool on wire rack before cutting into squares and serving
You will not be disappointed in this coffee cake recipe! Especially if, like me, you want equal parts cake and crumb topping!